Monday, July 27, 2009

You aren't an official blogger if you don't complain about something in your life.

For me its housework. (you can just skip down to the stars if you want to.)

Now as you guys know, I wasn't able to get a job this summer. Except for babysitting every other weekend which pretty much takes up all of Saturday and Sunday, along with my class at St. Rose, I'm pretty much always home. I try to hang out with friends and go to the gym to get out of the house, but its hard when your parents always require 1 car in the driveway, just in case something comes up.

Since I'm home, I might as well be doing something while I'm doing nothing. This means housework. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem doing laundry and dishes everyday and keeping things clean. Although I feel like its kinda come to the point where the house is my responsibility.

Greg works mon-fri from 1-9, or at least is supposed to, and when he's not working he's out with friends, usually sleeping over at their house. Dad works all day every day but has started to take it easy on the weekends, and god forbid he has to lift a finger or else all hell breaks loose. Mom's physically disabled, which makes it extra difficult to do normal chores. So that leaves me.

Every morning (I'll admit not that recently) my mom gets on me to do the laundry, or else we "get behind." Throughout the day I monitor the laundry and do the dishes. I clean the toilets and dust all the rooms. I scrubbed the shower doors for hours and they still aren't perfect. I dusted every room since mom's allergic. I feed the animals and clean up their puke (a lot). I vaccum the whole house and people's bedrooms. Last week mom and I- hold on, the washer just finished.

. . .


Ok, so last week mom and I cleaned the entire basement, reorganized my dad's office, and rearranged furniture, despite both of our chronic muscle pain. I vaccumed and dusted the stais on my hands and knees. I dusted/mopped/vaccumed the linoleum floors. I clean the litter box. I think its safe to say that I do my fair share around here.

***But the problem I have is why I can't ask for help. "Well, Greg works." . . . So? When I had a job last summer I still helped out. How come that excuse didn't work for me? If I ask him to help he just says "I don't really want to" or "Well, how come you can't do it?" Once in a blue moon he'll do something big, like mow the lawn one day, and vaccum the car the next. This makes him exempt for a good few days. "Well, he did [insert here]." Nothing I do can measure up to mowing the lawn.

Dad goes grocery shopping, will piss and moan as he put something in the dryer now and then, and sometimes beats me to the garbage. How come its ok for him to lie around and sleep all weekend, and when we try to do the same, he gets upset? Oh yea. . . he has a job.

I told my mom I feel like some of my work goes unnoticed, and for the reasons above, I feel somewhat unappreciated. Her response was that she used to do all the work, and no one thanked her. Now that I'm an adult, I shouldn't expect someone to thank me for helping out, since Dad expects us to always thank him and it annoys her. I understand where she was coming from but it still kinda hurt my feelings. She just said this morning she'll be lonely when I go back to school. I couldn't help but think about the house going to shit after I'm gone, and all the work she'll have to do without me. I do worry about her, and I'm afraid I'm turning into her.

[/rant]

1 comment:

  1. I'm also afraid you're turning into her.

    My parents are always super appreciative of the stuff I do around the house, and I don't even do that much, so . . . kinda weird to me that your folks wouldn't be really grateful, especially because you're leaving soon so everything you do is fleeting, temporary, essentially a gift.

    ReplyDelete